 > I do remember being told a reason that the standard squid wasn't good
enough. I've forgotten though...

my preliminary tests show there is no reason. On top of it Oxford is
using the OS squid in production. The use of cvmfs is
an additional reason to get away from frontier squid and be on a more
reliable ground.

Today at the dteam meeting this was discussed again and it was agreed
I'd open a savannah ticket that could be used as reference.

I will add your complaints about cvmfs. Mine about cvmfs  would have
been just a forecast (forecasts are never listened to., it seems people
need to get drench before admitting it's raining) but since you've felt
it on your skin it'll help to give it more weight.

cheers
alessandra