Looking at the citations from OED (see below), I'm guessing this was
already, or was fast becoming, an archaism.

OED

† Mart, n.1
Forms:  OE–ME Marte, ME–16 Mart. (Show Less)
Etymology:  < classical Latin Mārt-, Mārs (see Mars n.1). Compare Mars
n.1(Show Less)
Obs.

 1.
 a. Mythol. (The name of) Mars, the ancient Roman god of war.
OE    Prognostics (Tiber.) in Archiv f. das Studium der Neueren
Sprachen (1908) 120 297   Si fuerit kalendas Januarius die Martis,
hiems nobilissima, uer uentuosus, [etc.] : Gif bið dæg martes winter
æþelust lænten wind-hladen [etc.].
OE    Byrhtferð Enchiridion (Ashm.) ii. iii. 118   Þæs Sunnandæges
nama wæs of þære sunnan, and þæs Monandæges of þ[am] monan, and
Tiwesdæges of Marte Iouis sunu.
c1385    Chaucer Knight's Tale 2024   Ther were also of Martes
deuyssioun The barbour and the bochier and the smyth.
a1425  (1385)    Chaucer Troilus & Criseyde (1987) ii. 988   Al esily,
now, for the love of Marte‥for every thing hath tyme.
c1450  (1380)    Chaucer House of Fame 1446   Yren Martes metal ys,
Which that god is of bataylle.
a1525  (1513)    W. Dunbar Ballat Abbot of Tungland (Asloan) in Poems
(1998) 58   Sum held he had bene Dedalus,‥Sum Martis blaksmyth
Wlcanus.
1590    Spenser Faerie Queene i. Introd. iii,   Triumphant Mart, In
loves and gentle jollities arraid.

OE—1590(Hide quotations)

Thesaurus »
Categories »

 b. Also as mart. War, battle. Freq. in in equal mart  [after
classical Latin aequo Mārte, ablative singular (Caesar Gallic War
7.19.3)] : in a fair contest, on equal terms.
?a1475  (1425)    tr. R. Higden Polychron. (Harl.) (1869) II. 149
The Scottes‥toke to theyme seetes, what thro marte other fauor, nye to
the Pictes.
a1522    G. Douglas in tr. Virgil Æneid (1957) i. Prol. 516   The
horrible sterne dedis of Mart.
1567    G. Turberville tr. Ovid Heroycall Epist. 45v,   But if thou
long for warre, or yong Iulus seeke By manly Mart to Purchase prayse
and giue his foes the gleeke.
1600    E. Fairfax tr. Tasso Godfrey of Bulloigne vi. xxxvi. 100
These fooles thus vnder foot I tread, That dare contend with me in
equall mart.
a1640    P. Massinger Bashful Lover ii. viii. 71   My father (on whose
face he durst not look In equal mart).

?a1475—a1640(Hide quotations)

Thesaurus »
Categories »

 2. (The name of) the planet Mars.
[OE    Byrhtferð Enchiridion (Ashm.) i. i. 4   Þurh þæne [circul] yrnð
seo sunne and se mona and þas steorran Saturnus and Iouis, Martis and
Veneris and Mercurius.]
c1385    Chaucer Knight's Tale 2021   Yet saugh I brent the shippes
hoppesteres, The hunte strangled with the wilde beres‥Naught was
forgeten by the infortune of Marte.
a1393    Gower Confessio Amantis (Fairf.) vii. 1360   Complexion he
takth of Marte.

c1385—a1393(Hide quotations)

Mart, n./1
Third edition, July 2010; online version November 2010.
<http://www.oed.com:80/Entry/114406>; accessed 23 January 2011. An
entry for this word was first included in New English Dictionary,
1905.

--
Dr. David Wilson-Okamura    http://virgil.org          [log in to unmask]
English Department              Virgil reception, discussion, documents, &c