I responded to Mitch on the Milton list, but to add some useful reference works:

The Catholic Encyclopedia -- now available online and extremely useful on all sorts of matter, with the caveat that the perspective is the obvious one (though not so much as you might think)

The Encyclopedia Judaica (not the Jewish Encyclopedia) -- not, alas, online, but extremely erudite articles on all sorts of things (Hebrew Poetry, for instance), though, again, focused on the obvious perspective

Robert Alter's various translations -- The Pentateuch, 1 and 2 Samuel, Psalms, and now the Wisdom Books -- are extremely useful, especially the notes which illuminate all sorts of crucial matters in the Hebrew text, with implications for any translation

I also tend to use lots of images when I teach the English Bible, since they provide an immediately accessible artistic interpretation that makes a good springboard for discussion (whether orthodox or zany). An outstanding resource for such images is www.biblical-art.com.

Hannibal