Just an interesting article:

'...But of all recent offenders the most hardy and
unashamed is Mr. Rudyard Kipling. When he was
a very young man and wrote in the Pioneer and the
Civil and Military Gazette, he used to bluff so crudely
that people laughed, and the phrase, "There was a
cooly-woman once, but that is another story," became
a proverb in India.
Indeed, if I were a tyrant with a tyrant's
taste for good literature hot and hot, I would clap
Mr. Kipling into my dungeons and make him show
his cards. I would learn at last whom he meant by
the Biggest Liar in Asia; perhaps a pretty bit of
autobiography might be extracted under threats of the
bastinado...'

From "The book of the Cambridge Review, 1879-1897 (1898)"
http://www.archive.org/stream/bookofcambridger00cambiala/bookofcambridger00cambiala_djvu.txt
http://www.archive.org/stream/bookofcambridger00cambiala/bookofcambridger00cambiala.djvu