Dear all,

Please find info below about an event taking place in scotland this month.
Please share with colleagues.

*London 2012: the first transhuman Games?*
http://bit.ly/transhuman2012
The event is presented by the University of the West of Scotland, as part of
‘Knowing Sport: The science behind the medals’, a public engagement
initiative of ICSEMIS 2012 (Glasgow) supported by PODIUM and Research
Councils UK, Inspired by London 2012′.

BRIEF:

On 24th January, 2011, at 630pm @UWScreative will be hosting an 'inspired by
London 2012' event at the CCA in Glasgow, host city for ICSEMIS 2012. The
event is FREE to attend and open to all. It will bring together a scientist,
an artist and a philosopher (me) in conversation about the way in which
athletes bodies and minds are being transformed by technology.

Today, elite sports find themselves in increasingly unchartered waters. More
than ever before, athletes are using technology to optimize their biology
for performance and many of their methods are not even tested for by the
authorities. From genetic tests for sport performance to the use of
superhuman prosthetic enhancements, this subject reaches parts that
present-day anti-doping rules cannot reach.  These technologies have changed
elite sports, as we know them, but the next decade promises even more of an
overhaul to what we think being good at sport means.  As we approach the
London 2012 Games, this debate will consider the ethical implications of new
technology in sport, asking what distinguishes the cheat from the innovator.
We will ask whether the debate about the ethics of athletic performance is
all but over, as the winners' podium makes space for the transhuman athlete.

Going beyond the familiar debate about doping and anti-doping, this debate
will consider how far biology has been pushed by technical systems and what
Jacques Ellul called the technological society. It will include Dr Yannis
Pitsiladis, who works with the World Anti-Doping Agency on genetic
technologies and live artist Francesca Steele, who became a body builder as
part of her most recent performance work.  Along with Andy Miah, speakers
will consider how we ought to regard the future of sport and how it will
function in an era of transhuman enhancements.

Best wishes,

Andy

Professor Andy Miah <http://www.andymiah.net>, Ph.D. | [log in to unmask]
Chair of Ethics and Emerging Technologies
University of the West of Scotland,
Ayr Campus, KA8 OSR, Scotland, UK.
[t] +44 757 898 4147

#photography <http://iphotod.wordpress.com>:
twitter: @andymiah <http://www.twitter.com/andymiah>

Fellow, FACT <http://www.fact.co.uk> (Foundation for Art and Creative
Technology), Liverpool

Fellow in Visions of Utopia and Dystopia
Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies <http://ieet.org> (IEET),
USA

Global Director, Centre for Policy and Emerging
Technologies<http://c-pet.org/>(C-PET), Washington, DC

Associate Editor, Studies in Ethics, Law and
Technology<http://www.bepress.com/selt/>
Associate Editor, International Journal of
Technoethics<http://www.igi-global.com/Bookstore/TitleDetails.aspx?TitleId=1156>
Editorial Board, Health Care
Analysis<http://www.springerlink.com/content/103347/>
Editorial Board, Genomics, Society and Policy <http://www.gspjournal.com/>