From: psci-com: on public engagement with science [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stephan Matthiesen
Sent: 29 January 2011 09:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PSCI-COM] On openness in science and public engagement - a different view

Hello,

as we hear recurrent demands that scientists should be more open and
engage more with the public, here is a different perspective from a
scientist, discussing the perception of climate science.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2011/01/the-obvious-answer/

Most scientists that I know would probably agree to the following quote:

"journalism is supposed to unveil questionable practices, but apparently
the media itself does not practice openness and transparency. There are
questions that are relevant to the information we receive, such as: What
happens in the editorial rooms and how are decisions made? What are the
criteria for selecting the ‘experts’ for debates, and hence frame them
from the start? What part of the story is left out in news reports
(which can be considered as manipulation if citations are taken out of
context or video clips are cut and re-assembled in a way that gives the
wrong idea) ? I would like to confront journalists and editors with
these questions, because the real difference when it comes to power is
not the scientific knowledge, but how it is communicated to the policy
makers and the general public."

It seems to me that, if we want science to be better integrated in
society, the way is not to demand more and more from the scientists, but
also look at the role of other players in society, most importantly the
professional science engagers and the media.

Science is already an extremely open activity. I'm not only saying that
many scientists are already interested and eager to communicate with
anybody, given an opportunity. More importantly, science is inherently
public, results are published so that everybody can get them, and
anybody who wants can come along to seminars and hear how science is
done. You can email any scientist, and normally (if your question was
sensible) you get a sensible response. I've never seen a scientist who
refused to share his work with others.

Compare that to the situation in other important sectors of society:
when did you last hear a banker giving a public talk on how their bank
makes their business decisions? Can you go along to a board meeting of a
multinational company, or to the editorial room of a national newspaper
and listen (or even ask questions) why they make certain decisions? Are
these sectors less important in society than science?

Sure, much of the communication that scientists do needs background
knowledge and some effort on both sides.

So it seems to me that the point is not that scientists should do MORE
public engagement, and there is little need for strategy papers trying
to convince scientists that they should do more - because scientists are
already quite happy to do that, if there is a meaningful opportunity.
Many create their own opportunities, for example by writing blogs (which
then get belittled because they are not journalistic enough - we just
can't do things right, can we?)

Rather, the question is how to bring together scientists and interested
people together in a meaningful way. This is something that isn't the
job of scientists alone and can't be done by scientists alone, it needs
significant support by other sectors of the society.

Cheers
Stephan

--
Stephan Matthiesen
http://www.stephan-matthiesen.de

Email commands:
send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com mail -- [include hyphens]

leave psci-com -- [include hyphens]

Please allow up to 24 hours for these commands to activate.
Remember that you will need to send commands using the same email address that you used to register on psci-com.
To contact the Psci-com list owner, please send an email to: [log in to unmask]