Research Councils UK (RCUK) work in partnership with two festivals a year to deliver engaging debates for 'grown-ups'. As part of the RCUK festivals strategy, we work with one science and one art festival a year and provide our researchers for debates that are relevant to the general public. Through working closely with the festival organisers, we focus on delivering debates on our cross-Council themes which have been established to help solve many of the big research challenges over the next 10 to 20 years.

These debates are pitched at a level which provides the audience with the opportunity to learn about key research areas whilst being able to share their views and ask relevant questions.

RCUK are currently working with Bath Literature Festival (26th Feb - 6th  March) and York Festival of Science and Technology (11th -20th March).

At Bath Literature Festival we are working in partnership to deliver the following debates:

Digital Footprints - Tuesday 1 March, 8-9pm, Guildhall Bath
Who rules the world? - Sunday 6 March, 1-2pm, Guildhall Bath
Gaming, Social Networking, and Interaction - Sunday 6 March, 6:15-7:15pm Guildhall Bath

At York Festival we have a series of hands-on activities throughout the festival as well as the headline debate highlighted below:

Energy for our future: Have your say
Friday 18th March. 7:30pm-9pm University of York
How will we power our homes in the future? To tackle climate change, the UK needs to reduce our carbon footprint. Alongside reducing our demand for energy, it is likely we will need a mix of different low carbon technologies such as nuclear, wind, biofuels and carbon capture and storage. But what are the pros and cons of each of these and where should the emphasis be? This debate brings some of the UK's leading academics working at the cutting edge of energy research to talk about the possibilities for our future energy provision with you.

Cheryl

Cheryl Hewer
Policy Officer - Public Engagement with Research
Research Councils UK