I wouldn’t write my shopping list for $25, let alone a scientific article.

From: psci-com: on public engagement with science [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joseph K. Golson
Sent: 19 January 2011 17:27
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PSCI-COM] CALL FOR AUTHORS: Encyclopedia of Energy - New Deadline

Greetings,

We are inviting academic editorial contributors to a new reference work on the role of energy in society to be published by Salem Press in 2012. This comprehensive encyclopedia will be marketed and sold to high-school, college, public, and academic libraries and includes 4 volumes of approximately 600 articles.

From Alaska to China to Brazil and around the world, energy is the fuel of modern civilization. The United States alone, which constitutes 5 percent of the world’s population, consumes 24 percent of the world’s energy. Tracing the routes and roots of energy through history, especially since the Industrial Revolution, and explaining the current levels of energy use and production across the globe, this 4-volume encyclopedia will be the definitive reference to essential energy and power information. From “clean coal” to oil to windpower, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, the Encyclopedia of Energy is a world round up of energy-related curricular disciplines, including: history, sociology, environmentalism, public policy, science, engineering, and business. Especially targeted toward high-school students, this outstanding reference work is edited to tie into the high-school curriculum, making the content readily accessible as well to patrons of public, academic, and university libraries. Pedagogical elements include a Topic Finder, Chronology, Resource Guide, Glossary, Appendix, and thorough index. Presented in 4 volumes in an A-to-Z format, the Encyclopedia of Energy is richly illustrated with photos, charts, and tables, all comprising an unprecedented and unique resource.

We are now making new author article assignments with a deadline of March 15, 2011.

Each article ranges from 600 to 3500 words and is signed by the contributor. The General Editor for the encyclopedia is Dr. Morris A. Pierce, University of Rochester, who will review all the articles for editorial content and academic consistency.

If you are interested in contributing to the Encyclopedia of Energy, it can be a notable publication addition to your CV/resume and broaden your publishing credits. Moreover, you can help ensure that accurate information and important points of view are credibly presented to students and library patrons. Compensation is an honorarium payment of $25 up to 1000 words; $35 from 1001 to 2500 words; and $45 above 2501 words.

The list of available articles, style guidelines, and sample article are prepared and will be sent to you in response to your inquiry. Please then select which unassigned articles may best suit your interests and expertise.

If you would like to contribute to building a truly outstanding reference with the Encyclopedia of Energy, please contact me by the e-mail information below. Please provide a brief summary of your background in energy and social topics. Thanks for your time and interest.

Joseph K. Golson

Author Manager

********************************************************************** Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list archive, can be found at the list web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html You may also change your settings and subscribe/unsubscribe to psci-com from the web site.

Psci-com is part of the National Academic Mailing List Service, known as 'JISCMail'. It adheres to the JISCMail Acceptible Use Policy: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/acceptableuse.html and to the JISCMail guidelines for etiquette: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/etiquette.html

Email commands: 1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example, send an email to mailto:[log in to unmask] with the following message:

set psci-com mail -- [include hyphens]

leave psci-com -- [include hyphens]

Please allow up to 24 hours for these commands to activate. Remember that you will need to send commands using the same email address that you used to register on psci-com. To contact the Psci-com list owner, please send an email to: [log in to unmask]

This communication is from Cancer Research UK. Our website is at www.cancerresearchuk.org. We are a registered charity in England and Wales (1089464) and in Scotland (SC041666) and a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales under number 4325234. Our registered address is Angel Building, 407 St John Street, London, EC1V 4AD. Our central telephone number is 020 7242 0200.

This communication and any attachments contain information which is confidential and may also be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any form of disclosure, distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it or in any attachments is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete the email and destroy any copies of it.

E-mail communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free, as information could be intercepted, corrupted, amended, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. We do not accept liability for any such matters or their consequences. Anyone who communicates with us by e-mail is taken to accept the risks in doing so.