Sorry, I believe I was misunderstood. I used the word profession in the colloquial sense in which it is contrasted with "amateur", as opposed to the sense in which it denotes qualification, the consent of peers and professional codes of conduct.

And as you note, I didn't intend to dismiss Anthony Howard's quote as mere semantics. I intended to dismiss it is irrelevant as to whether a blog as a medium and journalism as a form of employment, whether profession or trade. I think that those who work in the industry of constructing arguments call it a "red herring".

My suggestion is that a journalist could be published in the form of a blog or in the form of a journal, just as a scientist can be published in a blog or in a (different type of) journal. Since journalism is the way in which the product is initially created, contrasting with the way in which it is presented - the medium - is like comparing jam with toast. Jam can be presented on a variety of media, and toast can carry a variety of products. Those products include marmite, which I would suggest is somewhat analogous to the view of bloggers held by some contributors.

David