On January 11, 2011 at 1:13 PM Alan Markowitz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Jack,

I have a question for you and the group. In your Living Theory work, has any attention been given to the role of the educator within the context of the school? In some of the more advanced study (Beare, Hargreaves) attention is given to the school community as a living organism where all parts are connected and interdependent for the benefit of all learners. Your thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Alan (and all), A number of the living theory doctoral thesis at http://www.actionresearch.net/living/living.shtml  show the attention that has been given to the role of the educator within the context of the school. John Loftus' enquiry would be a good one to look at:

AN ACTION RESEARCH ENQUIRY INTO THE MARKETING OF AN ESTABLISHED FIRST SCHOOL IN ITS TRANSITION TO FULL PRIMARY STATUS

JOHN LOFTUS

Examined 10 Dec. 1999. University of Kingston

ABSTRACT

This thesis is based on a five year research study, in which I have looked at my own practice as a headteacher in the marketing of a newly formed primary school, using action research methodology. The study was undertaken as I was aware that because of LMS formula funding, open enrolment, opting out, SATs, league tables, OFSTED inspections, schools had been forced into competition with each other and consequently had to market themselves.......

You can access this at http://www.actionresearch.net/living/loftus.shtml

I think that you will see that "attention is given to the school community as a living organism where all parts are connected and interdependent for the benefit of all learners."

Erica Holley's M.Phil. (1997) How do I as a teacher-researcher contribute to the development of a living educational theory through an exploration of my values in my professional practice?

see http://www.actionresearch.net/living/erica.shtml

would also be a good one to look at in terms of an individual educator explaining her educational influence in her own learning, the learning of others and the learning of the social formation of the school. I think you will relate closely to Erica's inclusional way of being which recognises the importance of working with a relationally dynamic awareness of individual and systemic influences.

Looking forward to continuing the conversation.

Love Jack.