From: PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in Design [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Balder Onarheim [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 21 January 2011 02:17
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Short (product) design task for study on creativity

Dear list,
I'm writing a PhD about the relationship between creativity and
constraints (any references on that topic is of course highly
appreciated!), and I'm now in the phase of developing pilot studies
with students and professional designers.

In the study I'll have teams of two designers working 90 minutes with
producing a design solution for a given (product) design problem. The
challenging part is to find a good design task that is possible to
"solve" in about an hour, without giving too many constraints, and
that most people will have relevant background knowledge to work with.

I've considered classical experimental tasks like the measure cup for
blind users, bike rack, device for mounting backpack on bike,
automated cloak-room and spill proof cup, but if anyone on this list
have experiences with using other tasks please let me know!

Thanks a lot,

Balder Onarheim

//////////////////////////////////////
Industrial Designer
PhD Fellow

www.onarheim.com

Copenhagen Business School
Department of Marketing
Solbjerg Plads 3C, 3rd floor
DK-2000 Frederiksberg C
+45 50 373 555

Think about the environment - please do not print this email

In summer 2011 we'll be moving to our new home at King's Cross. The move to this extraordinary state-of the-art space will mark a new era in arts education.

FIND OUT MORE:
www.csm.arts.ac.uk/kings-cross-move