MISTA 2011: Call for Papers (Special Session on Systems to Build Systems)

(Multidisciplinary International Scheduling Conference: Theory and Applications)

Dates: 9th – 12th August 2011

Location: Arizona, USA

We are pleased to announce a special session at MISTA 2011 and welcome contributions in the form of a full paper, or an abstract:

Systems to Build Systems

Sophisticated bespoke systems which are designed by human experts frequently provide successful results in solving specific computationally difficult problems. The expert involvement might still be (in general is) required for the application of such problem tailored systems to unseen problem instances or new/other problem domains. This situation arises due to the substantial range of system design choices such as the values for the system parameters. It is an extremely challenging task for researchers, as well as practitioners, to develop effective decision support systems or search methodologies which are capable of automatically building (selecting/generating/tuning) systems. This special session focuses on hyper-heuristics in scheduling. Topics include but are not limited to:

This special session is chaired by Ender Ozcan ([log in to unmask]) and Edmund Burke and is being held in conjunction with the LANCS Initiative (see http://www.lancs-initiative.ac.uk/).

Please visit http://www.mistaconference.org/2011/sessions/index.html for more details of this special session, the other special sessions being planned and how to submit a paper (or abstract) to this session.

The main conference web site contains details of the general Call for Papers, and we provide some important details below:

Submission Details

Authors are invited to submit papers in one of two categories

  1. Full Papers: These can be up to 10 pages and will be accepted as full papers at the conference.
  2. Extended Abstracts: These shorter papers (to a maximum of 3 pages) will give you the opportunity to present your work at the conference. The abstracts will also appear in the conference proceedings.

Plenary Talks

Kenneth Fordyce, IBM Systems and Technology Group

Title: The Ongoing Challenge: A Responsive Enterprise-Wide Demand Supply Network for Semiconductor and Package Operations - Something for Everyone

Kevin Glazebrook,Lancaster University and Director of the LANCS Initiative

Title: Stochastic scheduling: what everyone should know about index policies

Darrell Whitley, Colarado State University, USA

Title: Flying High, or Under the Radar? Applications of Evolutionary Algorithms in Optimization, Search and Scheduling

Venue

The venue will be announced shortly but it will be in Arizona

Conference Proceedings

We will be providing the proceedings on CD or USB. Both papers and abstracts will be included in the conference proceedings. We will also make all the papers available on the conference web site after the conference.

Post Conference Special Issue

Both categories of papers will be invited to submit suitably revised and extended versions to a post conference issue of the Journal of Scheduling.

Formatting Guidelines

We provide both Word templates and Latex styles. We will only accept PDF file that have been formatted using these formatting styles.

We do NOT want page numbers on the submissions as we will add these for the conference proceedings.

Conference Chairs