MISTA 2011: Call for Papers (Special Session on Decision-making Under Uncertainty)

(Multidisciplinary International Scheduling Conference: Theory and Applications)

Dates: 9th– 12th August 2011

Location: Arizona, USA

We are pleased to announce a special session at MISTA 2011:

Decision-making Under Uncertainty

When a decision-maker faces uncertainty, and that is most of the time, several
questions may arise:

• How to describe the uncertainty?
• What are the dynamics of the problem (when do you know what)?
• What does the new model look like?
• Will the solution to the corresponding deterministic problem behave well
in light of the uncertainty?
• How do you solve (approximately) the model involving uncertainty?

In this session we will focus on what uncertainty does to a problem, its formulation,
the structure of its solution, and the tools needed to solve it. Modelling-oriented
papers are particularly welcome.

This special session is chaired by Stein W. Wallace (email: stein.w.wallace@lancaster)
and is being held in conjunction with the LANCS Initiative (see http://www.lancs-initiative.ac.uk/).

Please visit http://www.mistaconference.org/2011/sessions/index.html for more
details of this special session, the other special sessions being planned and
how to submit a paper (or abstract) to the conference.

The web site also contains details of the main Call for Papers, but we provide
some of the important details below:

Submission Details

Authors are invited to submit papers in one of two categories

1. Full Papers: These can be up to 10 pages and will be accepted as full papers
at the conference.
2. Extended Abstracts: These shorter papers (to a maximum of 3 pages) will give
you the opportunity to present your work at the conference. The abstracts will
also appear in the conference proceedings.

Plenary Talks

Kenneth Fordyce, IBM Systems and Technology Group

Title: The Ongoing Challenge: A Responsive Enterprise-Wide Demand Supply Network
for Semiconductor and Package Operations - Something for Everyone

Kevin Glazebrook,Lancaster University and Director of the LANCS Initiative

Title: Stochastic scheduling: what everyone should know about index policies

Darrell Whitley, Colarado State University, USA

Title: Flying High, or Under the Radar? Applications of Evolutionary Algorithms
in Optimization, Search and Scheduling

Venue

The venue will be announced shortly but it will be in Arizona

Conference Proceedings

We will be providing the proceedings on CD or USB. Both papers and abstracts
will be included in the conference proceedings. We will also make all the papers
available on the conference web site after the conference.

Post Conference Special Issue

Both categories of papers will be invited to submit suitably revised and extended
versions to a post conference issue of the Journal of Scheduling.

Formatting Guidelines

We provide both Word templates and Latex styles. We will only accept PDF file
that have been formatted using these formatting styles.

We do NOT want page numbers on the submissions as we will add these for the
conference proceedings.

Conference Chairs

• John Fowler, Arizona State University, USA
• Graham Kendall, University of Nottingham, UK
• Barry McCollum, Queens University Belfast, UK