I find Dave's comments about 'sludgy' deposits interesting. Some of the
deposits in the dales were from karst features. I once took two small samples
of  clay (handfuls) from a vertical fissure in Faggergill/Stang Mine, I had
noticed  a few nuggets of ore which were probably too few for the miners to
have bothered  with; but I wondered what else was in the clay.

I wet sieved the clay (fairly granular but still with lumps of fine  clay)
through a 75 um sieve and found that there had been about 5% galena
(separated by panning) in the range 600 um to 75 um (not including what had been
washed through the 75 um sieve. I wonder how effective buddling at the time
might have been with such deposits.

Regards
Ian Spensley