Apologies for cross posting

SAGE has launched socialsciencespace, (www.socialsciencespace.com): an online social network bringing researchers together with funders, societies, think tanks, policy makers and government to explore, share and shape the big issues in social science today. The network features blog posts on key issues such as funding and impact; a forum to share discussion; a resource centre with free videos, reports and slides that support these discussions, and events listings for social science conferences and seminars across the world. All content is freely accessible and the site is free to join.

“As the world’s leading social science publisher we at SAGE feel we have a responsibility to advocate on behalf of our community internationally”, said Ziyad Marar, Global Publishing Director, SAGE. “The argument for the importance of social science research and teaching has never been more urgent, and yet the voices making the case are disparate and thus somewhat diffuse in their impact. In launching socialsciencespace we hope to help coordinate these energetic debates and to provide a necessary focal point, where academics, journalists, funders and policy makers can interact effectively.”

One of socialsciencespace’s launch partners, the Academy of Social Science, will shortly commence a major campaign to promote and defend UK social science and its top international ranking, the Campaign for Social Science. Socialsciencespace will act as a major supporter of this initiative, promoting upcoming activities and opportunities to engage; hosting video from the launch event and regional events; as well as other discussions and commentaries.

“SAGE is proud to be able to provide this forum to help demonstrate the crucial scientific, cultural, social and political value of social science to any healthy society,” added Marar. “We’re delighted to be working so closely with the Academy and many other partners, and welcome other groups internationally who wish to become part of this important conversation.”

Explore Socialsciencespace now

Get involved

We are working with major third parties on this initiative, including the Academy of Social Sciences. Initial contributions on the site include figures from academia and beyond, including the Academy for Social Sciences; Institute for Education; the Metropolitan Police; the National Institutes of Health (NIH); and the Institute for Government. We would strongly welcome further contributors and partners. We are looking for people with a genuine passion to join us in developing this network. Contributors can:

SAGE has appointed Catriona Moore as site editor. Catriona is a writer and policy analyst who has worked in health and social care policy development for fifteen years, in the public, private and voluntary sectors. Her most recent role was at the Social Care Institute for Excellence, an independent charity that researches and disseminates good practice in social care across the UK. Potential contributors to the blog should [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]"> contact Catriona for further information.

Visit www.socialsciencespace.com to join the debate.