From: John Briggs <[log in to unmask]>

> There are several problems with the chronological approach. Should it be the
date of death of the person, or the date (if any) of their canonisation? Or
the date at which they became more more widely, or generally, commemorated?

as has been pointed out, the canonization date presents difficulties (unknown
dates not the least of these) as well as being, largely, irrelevant --at least
for the purposes of ordering.

Joan of Orleans' 1920 canonization would tell us quite a lot about the
post-WWI period, but nothing at all about her middleval significance,
obviously, and would thus be Off Topic, incurring the Wrighteous Wrath of our
poor ListMommie.

as for ambiguity about the date of death --also esp. problematic for purely
legendary saints-- an approximate date of the real (or imagined) death should
suffice for our purposes, differences in mere decades being trivial, in the
Broader View which should Guide Us all.

> Should the saints be divided region in which thwy are commemorated,

my vote would be a clear NO on that one --though, of course, the region where
they lived (and where their cult first, or later, took root) should certainly
be relevant part of the text of the brief vita in the post.

saints from all over "France" (and elsewhere) were important in the Chartrain,
my favored obsession, for example.

>or into those commemorated in the medieval period and those commemorated only
later?

again, a fact worthy of mention, but otherwise not a significant criterion for
ordering.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]