From: Terri Morgan <[log in to unmask]>

>> but what, exactly, is the advantage of the alphabetical arrangement, other
than it's nouvoténess?

> For me, it's ease. I'm trying to create (for myself, just for fun) a saints
& feast calendar as it would have been available to someone with far-reaching
resources on January 1, 1600.

that raises an interesting question: how would such a c. 1600 collection be
arranged?

probably answerable by simply consulting suchlike animals, but i would be
quite astonished if one of this period were to be arranged alphabetically
--almost any other arrangement would be plausible, but an alphabetical one
would surely never occur to a medieval/early modren collectionator.

by date-- of course, that being the most utilitarian mathod-- but also by
country, by region, by "importance" (however determined, surely Popes take
precedent over mere LKSRs), by popularity, by familiarity, by almost any
"subjective" criteria one might imagine, but *not* by the purely arbitrary
(and relatively useless) ABCdiarian order.

> But for reading here, to spark discussion or contemplation,

or, simply for ease of use by those of us (like Bob Kraft and me) always
looking for Asses' Bridges to reinforce our own chronological prejudices and
insulate ourselves from pesky unwanted  and extraneous knowledge acquisition.

>there's really no reason to NOT mix it up into some other order. I can cut &
paste into chronological order just as easily as I could in geographical order
or any other order easily discerned.

a geographical ordering might be tried --Regno fanatics or, of that matter,
Chartrain fanatics might (temporarily) entertain such an order (to the groans
of the rest of the list, save for the nouveautéists; but, what does one do
about Tuscany, or the Orleanais?

> And I admit - the legendary is what draws my particular interest. I like
reading what folks of the time would have thought was true, or even 'true for
purposes of the Church'.

of great historiographic significance, as well a being absolutely essential to
any kind of Ball-Park understanding of what/how the hell those weird,
1.5-cameral medievals actually thought.

>I also appreciate the results of our more scientific and scholarly approach
(such as John's exhaustive work for the
List). As you can already tell, I am less interested in buildings than I am in
direct images

yes, all those are surely 'true for purposes of the Church' --except for the
actual photographs.

>- but with so many knowledgeable building-aficionados on
the List,

the *form(s)* of the building are, of course, of some interest to
architectural historians, but it's surely the ages, locations and shear
proliferation (or not) of the buildings which would be of interest to
cultic-aficionados.

>Not to mention that the archives are always available

if you happen to have a link to those, why not just include the link as a
matter of course?

surely the resource is becoming so formidable that it would be further
enhanced by such.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]