You should try and read the White Goddess by Graves, Chris, both Flaky and
Pretty Interesting at the same time.

Henk

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] Namens Christopher Crockett
Verzonden: donderdag 27 januari 2011 19:21
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Re: [M-R] Dating yew trees (WAS: Re: [M-R] double monasteries)

watching this little string go bye, i realized that i had no idea what a yew
tree might look like, much less ever having dated one (they're just not my
type, i suppose, being more of a Walnut kind of Guy, myself).

so, i looked a bit on that Ultimate Pons Asinorum, The Innernets, to see
what
i might come up with.

now, i may not know from yews, guys, but i've got a pretty good clue that
*this* is an old, old tree:

http://cornishevangelist.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/sussex-west-2814.jpg

to say nothing of being very difficult for even it's mother to date.

for dendrochronology works at all for dating such a "muliti-stalked" tree as
this, the wood would have to be very, very dense (i.e., slow growing)
indeed.

what a strange creature.

turns out that "Taxus baccata is a *conifer* native to western, central and
southern Europe..." and was at the very heart of the English Longbow
Military
Industrial Complex

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxus_baccata#Longbows

which, ultimately, led to European-wide over yewing, with considerable
ecological damage by early modren times.

this "Door of the Chapel in a Norman yew"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LaHayeDeRoutotIf1.JPG

has to be the favorite of this list.

this site

http://www.whitedragon.org.uk/articles/yew.htm

is more-than-a-bit new-agey, but this statement

"The Yew is sacred to Hecate, and the Crone aspect of the Triple Goddess;
both
are guardians of the Underworld, death and the afterlife"

is surely based on the work of Robert Graves, generally thought by academics
(esp. those who have never read his works) to be somewhat of an igorint an
irrelevant nutcase, but whose _Greek Myths_ (2 vols.) is, to my mind and
experience, a first-rate piece of work, its somewhat over-stretched
interpretive material perhaps to the contrary notwithstanding.