From: Media, Communications & Cultural Studies Association (MeCCSA) - Policy Network on behalf of Salvatore Scifo
Sent: Wed 1/12/2011 2:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MeCCSA-Policy] Ofcom's research resources

-------- Original Message --------
From:  Alison Preston <[log in to unmask]>*

Ofcom's research resources*

Following our successful event in December, we would like to let Meccsa
members know the range of research resources that Ofcom can offer,
following recent changes to our website design and to our dataset policy.

*Finding data and publications*

We have redesigned the research areas of our website in order to provide
a more user-friendly and intuitive search facility, with enhanced access
to a range of media including text, data and charts. For example:

ˇPlease go
tohttp://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/market-data-research/market-research/to
find our market research publications on a variety of topics, going back
to 2004.

ˇPlease go to
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/market-data-research/media-literacy-pubs/to
find our media literacy publications, and our flagship audit
publications with PDF tables, questionnaires, charts etc.

ˇPlease go to www.ofcom.org.uk/cmr10 <http://www.ofcom.org.uk/cmr10> to
find the latest CMR (Communications Market Report) data cut by platform
and by Nation, providing a wealth of data about current markets and
audiences available in data and chart form as well as the full report.

In future, data from our research will also be available in .CSV format
so that third party researchers can carry out their own analysis.

*Researching Ofcom*

For academics wishing to analyse Ofcom itself, some useful pointers can
be found at www.ofcom.org.uk/about/how-ofcom-is-run/
<http://www.ofcom.org.uk/about/how-ofcom-is-run/%20>, which provides an
organisational structure, and also publishes Board minutes six months
after the meetings have taken place.

*Researching Ofcom's predecessors*

For academics wishing to analyse the ITC, Oftel, RA, Radio Authority,
and the BSC, these records are held at Ofcom. A number of elements of
their work are already published -- these documents can be found at
www.ofcom.org.uk/regulator-archives/
<http://www.ofcom.org.uk/regulator-archives/>.

IBA and ITA records are administered by University of Bournemouth, not
by Ofcom.

*Further material*

Once these resources have been explored, the most effective way forward
is to make a request via FOI -- either through the template which can be
found on Ofcom's home page, or by an email to:
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

*Ongoing communication *

We are keen to hear from academics and to share research ideas. We are
particularly interested in ethnographic work, and longitudinal analysis.

We will post Ofcom's monthly round-up of publications and activities, as
well as our monthly Media Literacy bulletin, and feedback is warmly
welcomed.

We will continue to work with Meccsa to explore how we can work together
most effectively.

*December seminar*

Our seminar on 14^th December included short presentations on a range of
topics:

/Ofcom's research resources/

.James Thickett, Director of Market Research

.Steve Gettings, Head of Media Market Intelligence

.Alison Preston, Senior Research Associate

/PSB Research/

.Chair: Professor Sue Thornham, Head of Media and Film, University of
Sussex and Chair of Meccsa

.Professor Máire Messenger Davies, University of Ulster

.Dr James Bennett, London Metropolitan University

.Dr Cathy Johnson, University of Nottingham

/PSB audience research/

.Jane Rumble, Head of Audience and Consumer Research

Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any queries or need
further information.

Best regards

Alison Preston

Senior Research Associate, Ofcom

Please visit this page to browse list's archives, or to join or leave the list.