Martyn is absolutely right, ‘The idea of using banker's bonuses in this way also provides a spurious legitimacy for the cuts - and the inequalities of current public service provision and financing.’

Because economic events have shown that what bankers do has massive social implications, it seems sensible to suggest that more of their income should find its way into the public purse; and from there, subject to democratic processes, perhaps into the public library movement.

From the conversations I have with service providers and users (mainly social services and charities these days), there is at last some growing anger about the exacerbation of inequalities, and increasing credence given to the view that the cuts being imposed may be far in excess of what is justifiable. We can expect this trend of disquiet to increase.

It is in the interests of people on the right to reverse the equalisation of society. They are taking their opportunity to trash as much of the public realm as they can. So the time is coming for defenders of libraries to decide how far they will go in adopting a political stance in defending those things that are essentially public.

As I write, in a corner of my screen there are scenes of public anger in Cairo. The pairing of these issues is neither fanciful nor coincidental: network society awareness is partly about how arrogant regimes can be given a serious shock by those people whose views they ignore or try to quash. The survival of public libraries may depend on being part of a very significant movement of citizens insisting that their views be taken into account.

So in case folk are not aware –

Week of resistance is 12-19 Feb

http://www.coalitionofresistance.org.uk/2011/01/week-of-resistance-12th-february-19th-february/

TUC march for the Alternative – London March 26th

http://www.coalitionofresistance.org.uk/2011/01/make-march-26th-a-massive-show-of-strength-cor-newsletter-25-january/

kevin

Kevin Harris

0773 042 9993