I live in Somerset and, as you know, it is one of those set to have its library
service decimated: only 14 fully funded libraries for the entire county, one of
the largest in the country.  This is on top of really bad cuts a few years ago
and a consequent lack of qualified librarians.

I would like to use my local situation merely to highlight what I think is a
flaw in the basis being used by authorities to decide where cuts will fall (ie
I’m not using this message to ‘save my local library’) and to get views on this,
especially from those who will be implementing the cuts.

Somerset proposes to fund these 14 libraries because they, "currently account
for about 80% of all library visits, 78% of issues and 78% of active members."
As I said in a letter to Christine Lawrence (SCC cabinet member for libraries)
in completing the consultation questionnaire, I bolstered these statistics by
ticking that the library I most use is Yeovil (one of the 14).  However, as I
also pointed out, nowhere did the q'nnaire ask was this my local library or why
I used this library.  Had they asked, it would have elicited the answer that I
and my family long ago exhausted the library service and stock at our local
library, Castle Cary (CC).  Viewing the John Harris video of the North Yorks
service, Derek Laws too uses exactly the same statisitc, ie funding the 80% most
used libraries.  (North Yorks and Somerset have largely scattered rural
populations and so there may be some similarities which may not apply to urban
authorities??)

Castle Cary library  is not small it is tiny and hence the stock and lack
of/access to qualified staff means it cannot offer a full service (NB. this is
not a criticism of the CC staff).  Ever since living in the area we have been
promised a new libary but this has not happened (in fairness, latterly due to
local councillors' location concerns).  It is well documented that improved
library services raise use and hence increase the all-important usage
statistics.  Consequently, had CC had a new library before these cuts there is
every likelihood that it would have entered the ranks of being worthy of
continued funding.

So, we go from a situation where a community, currently served by a poor library
service, is to be rewarded by being served by no funded service at all (but one
which the authority had already decided could support a larger, better library
service!)  I am one of those residents who have the physical mobility, money and
a car to enable me to go to another library; a great many do not and,
presumably, once unemployment levels rise and more young people drop out of FE
from a lack of EMA, there will be a greater need for local services, the very
ones being axed?  I'm sure similar situations exist in all counties.

I do wonder if the powers that be have actually asked themselves, cause and
effect: do so few people use a local library because they're not interested in
using libraries or is it because it does not offer/no longer offers them what
they want/need?

Consequently, I feel using these statistics to decide cuts is not only badly
flawed but disingenuous and allows authorities to take the easy, simple option
and just blanketly cut small libraries, out of expedience...?  I welcome your
views.

Carolyn Carter