From: lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Frances Hendrix
Sent: 12 January 2011 11:37
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Onwards and Upwards?

WE, I, You, Us?

it doesnt matter now is your chance!

Call for national inquiry into library service

A Somerset library campaigner is proposing a national public inquiry in response to the widespread closures threatening the library service. Steve Ross said it seemed "sensible and cost effective" to focus nationally on the issue, as well as on specific local situations. Many local campaign groups, including Gloucestershire, Lewisham and Dorset, and Somerset itself are considering legal measures to oppose the cuts. He  warned: "The trauma of the Government ignoring calls for inquiry in local areas would pull the country apart."

He said: "The suggestion for a national public library service inquiry is an invitation for central government to offer leadership and an innovative social response....The fear is we are on a short term dash towards cultural oblivion that will place a straitjacket on innovation and lifelong learning in many communities, at a time when the country needs to prepare to face up to the bigger challenges the world faces towards 2050."

Campaigner Desmond Clarke welcomed the campaign, saying he urged everyone to get involved.

Currently approaching 400 libraries are threatened with closure, according to website publiclibrariesnews.blogspot.com, with around half of councils still to announce their plans.

Steve Ross is calling for any supporters for the initiative to contact him at [log in to unmask].

Frances Hendrix
Martin House Farm, Hilltop Lane, Whittle le Woods, Chorley, Lancs PR6 7QR, UK
tel: 01257 274 833.  fax: 01257 266 488
email: [log in to unmask]