Affiliate Members of CILIP is a special interest group dedicated to the support and progression of front-line library and information staff, whose work is primarily customer-focussed and supporting professional services. Affiliate Membership can help benefit:

  • You! - through the personal satisfaction of understanding the job you do, and do well
  • And by providing a route that can steer you towards Chartership, and future professional goals (by gaining the ACLIP qualification, for example)
  • Your employer and workplace, by developing staff who are motivated, reflective and responsive to their training and learning needs

ACLIP means the holder is a ‘Certificated Member of CILIP’, and the qualification is designed for front-line staff wishing to demonstrate their personal development, and a developed ability to reflect on learning and training. Ultimately for many candidates it is hoped that ACLIP will act as a springboard towards future Chartership. ACLIP candidates build a portfolio for submission, ideally with the support of a mentor, and in doing so begin to use the skills required for a Chartership submission; for example, the ability to reflect, collate evidence, and present materials effectively.

In supporting candidates working towards ACLIP, Affiliate Members have access to a broad network of people from different library sectors who can help provide informal guidance using a dedicated mailing list. Affiliate Members also produce a newsletter detailing current events and raising awareness, and work closely with other special interest groups, all within the aim of sharing knowledge and developing staff.

We also have an Affiliates’ committee, a dedicated, friendly, experienced group which works to promote the skills and development of front-line staff. The group encourages members’ personal and professional progression by creating and contributing to events and training, by drawing upon professional networks, and through the advocacy and support of candidates working towards ACLIP.

Anyone interested in joining the committee, can learn more simply by emailing: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]

Read below to find out what people have said about being part of the Affiliates and ACLIP

I found the certification extremely valuable. In more general terms it has boosted my confidence and I have taken on various projects that I would never consider in the past.

The confidence and the perspective it gave you... possibly the networking side of it as well

Most people felt that the certification actually gave most the confidence to take on new challenges that they never envisaged they would ever have taken on

The comradeship is fantastic and I find the interaction really great.

I have to say that doing the ACLIP programme was one of the best things I have ever done here in the Library!! It has given me so much extra confidence in what I do, I have meet so many lovely helpful people and it's good to get recognition for what I have done all these years. So in a sentence - Got for it and gain from it!

The benefits for me have been the progression towards becoming a professional.  I entered this job as a member of a Mum’s army but through excellent CPD and mentoring am now well on the way to where I want to be.  My colleagues respect what I have achieved and the reflective nature of the qualification give you an excellent chance to review what you do and therefore give an opportunity to improve.  My daily tasks remain the same but I hope that I perform them with more thought and self assessment than before.

I can honestly say I would not have done half the things I have without the benefit of Certification.  I have now completed my first degree with a first class Honours; this is something I would not have thought possible without undertaking ACLIP first.  Apart from anything, it helps you to realise just how much you are capable of.

Karen Newton

Manager

City Services

Sunderland City Council

0191 561 3495

www.Sunderland.gov.uk

This email and any attached files transmitted are confidential and intended solely
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed. If you received this email in error
you may not take action based on its contents, nor should you copy, print or show
this to anyone; instead please reply to the sender and highlight the error, then
delete the message from your system.

Please note that the content of e-mail sent and received may have to be disclosed
by the Council in response to a request for access to information.

Sunderland is aiming to become the most liveable city in the UK.
Visit www.Sunderland.gov.uk  for Council services and information.
Business investors can access www.Investinsunderland.co.uk
Visitors to the City should log onto www.Visitsunderland.com