This is my first post of the New Year; happy 2011 one and all.

The MLA meets with Arts Council tomorrow for the first time at Board level.

The agenda is how to ensure that the transition from MLA to ACE this summer can maintain and where possible strengthen the central expertise that can support local government in its hugely difficult task of maintaining comprehensive and efficient public libraries. As a backdrop, it is so encouraging having John’s and Debby’s strong, timely and insightful advocacy for a progressive 21st C agenda.

Public libraries will not be preserved by wishful thinking and aspic. Strive to thrive; recognise the width and breadth of the social opportunities and fight hard to nourish change and embrace development that can serve the whole community, not simply the privileged, mainly white, middle class. These are perspectives that too few commentators – whether journalists or campaigners – care to hear about, still less to understand.

Many high-performing public libraries are already out there, in the van, leading the way. New and refurbished libraries have opened in the past year and are being opened all across the country; shame that good news doesn’t make headlines! There are services that are 24/7, deeply impressive and in-being today; let’s spread that word.

Where closures are inappropriate or strategies lack imagination or leadership we in MLA are on hand to help. As I write, we are engaged with a number of Authorities (fewer than 10) currently risking intervention under the Act. That suggests that many, many more are doing a cracking job for their communities despite the odds and amid tough funding.

Meanwhile, thanks to John and Debby and others prepared to stand up and be counted among leaders for confident improvement, not hand-wringing despair!!

Here’s to a dynamic year ahead.

Roy

Roy Clare CBE

Chief Executive Officer