******Apologies for cross posting**************************

Come What May: mainstreaming social justice in libraries

The coalition government is driving changes and cutting costs. How can libraries remain committed to social inclusion and deliver social justice in the current climate?  And what will the Big Society mean for libraries?

On Wednesday 13 April 2011, LibrariesWest, the Bristol Area Social Inclusion Network and The Network will be holding their next one-day seminar, "Come what may", looking at how social justice work can continue in the current climate.

The seminar will be held at The Library of the University of the West of England, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol and will be led by John Vincent from The Network. The day will consist of a mixture of factual presentation, small group work and large group discussion, and handouts will be available on the day.

The seminar is aimed primarily at people working in libraries, who will be planning and delivering services with inclusion in mind.  It will examine the concerns over the changes in emphasis from the coalition government.

Learning outcomes

*	Review and understand the key developments in social justice policy at Government and local levels

*	Learn from good practice in developing and maintaining social inclusion work

*	Consider and plan for ways of ensuring that such good practice is spread and maintained

The standard cost is £40 (+ vat) but bookings received before the 31st January 2011 will be charged at the 'early bird' rate of £35 (+ vat). The rate for students/unwaged is £20 (+ vat).

The nearest mainline rail station is Bristol Parkway and the number 70 bus runs regularly to the university campus from Bristol Temple Meads station. For more detailed directions visit: www.uwe.ac.uk/aboutUWE/campus/frenchay-directions.shtml

The venue is fully accessible, and there is an arrangement for free car parking provided it is booked below.

Programme

9.30 - 10am  Registration and refreshments

10am              Welcome/introductions

10.15am         "What shall we call it? And what will it mean?" - A briefing on the coalition Government's approach to social inclusion and social justice

11am              Break

11.20am         How is this being reflected in your service?

11.50am         Case studies of good social inclusion work

12.30pm         Lunch (not included - please bring sandwiches to eat outside the library or you can purchase food in 'Core 22', the student bar

1.15pm           How do we keep this work going?

                        Afternoon to consist of sessions on:

·        Commitment - political, management, staff

·        Resources

·        Mainstreaming: putting social justice at the core of our work / moving from projects to mainstream / priorities / what happens in everyday work

·        Partnerships, the community and resources

·        Evaluation & advocacy

3.30pm           What can I do? Practical ideas that we can all implement - and some plans

4.00pm           Close

Some comments from delegates at our most recent seminar:

 "Very practical and focussed"

"Workshops and presentations very useful in raising awareness of issues"

 "The day covered many areas that hadn't crossed my mind, so opened my eyes to new things"

"Exceeded my expectations and so glad I attended"

 "I feel more confident about contributing to development in this area"

To book a place on this seminar please return the completed form to: J [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  or by post to Jon Scown, Libraries Centre, Mount St, Bridgwater, TA6 3ES by 31st March 2011.

Name

Organisation

Address

Postcode

Email

Name & address for invoice (if different from above)

Special access/dietary requirements

Do you require a car parking space?

Cancellations will be refunded in full if notified by 31st March 2011. Cancellations from 1st April onwards will not be refunded. Substitutions may be made at any time.

This communication is intended solely for the person (s) or organisation to whom it is addressed.  It may contain privileged
and confidential information and if you are not the intended recipient (s), you must not copy, distribute or take any action
in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender and copy the message to

Individuals are advised that by replying to, or sending an e-mail message to Somerset County Council, you accept
that you have no explicit or implicit expectation of privacy.

In line with the Surveillance and Monitoring Policy, any e-mail messages (and attachments) transmitted over the
Council’s network may be subject to scrutiny.