The lack of a Kindle link is of course partly to do with  Amazon but also to
do with the fact that, on the Internet, libraries lack the ‘gravitational
pull’ (a phrase used much by Lorcan Dempsey at OCLC). People are going to
fewer and fewer websites and library websites/catalogues barely figure at
all (something I referred to in a recent CILIP Gazette article

http://www.kenchadconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/platforms_CILIP_
Gazette_2December2010.pdf).

Library catalogue data remains very fragmented. So It looks like we are back
in the National Catalogue’ debate again—if you aggregate data on a large
scale then a range of potential benefits arise. As we discussed back in
September

(see the archive at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A1=ind1009
<https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A1=ind1009&L=lis-pub-libs#48>
&L=lis-pub-libs#48

about 20% of UK authorities are ‘exposing’ their holdings to Google (mostly
by using OCLC -details are on the Local Government Library Technology
(LGLibTech) website (https://lglibtech.wikispaces.com/National+Catalogue )
so we have a kind of/sort of 20% National Catalogue.

The barriers are not really technical or even financial—indeed such a
‘shared service’ should bring opportunities for cost savings as well as
service improvements. I wasn’t able to galvanise much interest back in
September ..perhaps John will be more successful....

Ken

CEO, Ken Chad Consulting Ltd

Tel +44 (0)7788 727 845. Email:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask]   <http://www.kenchadconsulting.com/>
www.kenchadconsulting.com

Skype: kenchadconsulting   Twitter: @KenChad

Open Library Systems Specifications:   <http://libtechrfp.wikispaces.com/>