Learned Publishing - Issue 1 - 2011

From the Editor:

Go for tiered pricing and become a pariah – or not

Want to switch to tiered pricing for your journal – perhaps because you think it’s fairer, and even expand your market at the ‘low’ end? Want to get it totally wrong and bring down the wrath of all, clog up the listservs with complaints and maybe lose significant revenue?

Not that I’m suggesting that that’s happened recently, of course. But we do have an article in our latest issue that might just help you get it right. Charlie Rapple explains in detail, based on a real-life example, all the steps you have to take to help give you the best chance, at least, of getting it right.

Your editor, in his normal iconoclastic fashion, manages to get mention of sex, or homosexuality, in his editorial on scholarly communication. He would have done it more, he says, but was terrified in equal amounts of being thought either homophobic or too interested in the topic.

We do get quite scholarly ourselves in one paper, which reviews the literature on the ethics of ‘peer review’. If you look up ‘peer review’ on the search engines, you’ll get thousands of apparently relevant items, so even finding out how Lawrence Souder from Drexel chose what to review is interesting, and the whole 18-page paper with its 136 references should be something of a benchmark for those interested in, and researching on, this topic.

There’s an awful lot in medical journals about how to deal with research on humans – but how do we do, as a publishing industry, when it comes to animals? Nikki Osborne, from the RSPCA, has done some more research, and finds us sadly lacking – have a look at her findings.

David Nicholas and the CIBER people are back again, measuring away as usual – fascinating stuff – this time looking at two years’ use of e-journals by researchers, and even suggesting that some of the traditional library role has moved away to, as they call them, ‘the new librarians’ – check out to see who(m) they are talking about.

Cliff Morgan of Wiley has a nice and short piece just explaining the mysteries and complexities (in case you thought there weren’t any!) of the Creative Commons Licence.

Eefke Smit tells us why all of us need to care more about preservation of data (broadly defined) and results from the PARSE project – otherwise, as she says, we might be in for a ‘Digital Dark Age for Data’.

And then we have book reviews, and a couple of comments on an earlier article just to give you, we hope, a compelling package. Can you resist? (all right, I know the answer to that – but don’t try - give in to temptation).

Alan Singleton

Editor, Learned Publishing

All articles are free to all ALPSP and SSP members and to journal subscribers; in addition, editorials, reviews and letters to the Editors, as well as any articles where the author has taken up the ‘ALPSP Author Choice’ OA option, are now free to all.  If you would like to receive an email alert or RSS feed every time a new issue goes online, all you have to do is sign up at http://alpsp.publisher.ingentaconnect.com/content/alpsp/lp

To obtain free access to the journal, ALPSP members should access it via the ALPSP website .  If you do not have a username and password, please email [log in to unmask]

Diane French

Event & Database Administrator

The Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers (ALPSP)

Telephone/Fax: +44 (0)1827 709188

Email: [log in to unmask]

Normal working hours: Tuesday - Friday: 0900 - 1730

Please visit our website at: http://www.alpsp.org

ALPSP Seminars

Are you being served? 17 February, London, UK

ALPSP is a Company limited by guarantee and incorporated in England and Wales Registration no: 4081634.
Registered Office: 1-3 Ship Street, Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex BN43 5DH UK