From: A general Library and Information Science list for news and discussion. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Cari Johnson
Sent: 14 January 2011 11:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Managing references : a heretical question

Hi Peter
Although we don't currently use the Word References option I did look into it and I would highly recommend it for use by undergraduate students who are trying to get to grips with referencing for the first time. It's easy to access and use. The biggest downside I could see is that when using open-access pcs, if students want to keep a copy of their references they have to remember to save their reference list as a file and import it each time they log on. Also, you can't tweak any references that don't match our APA 6th guide.

Certainly we have found Endnote is much more appropriate for researchers who are handling a large number of references. It stores your references for you, allows you to organise them into groups and will even let you attach the article pdf to the reference.

Many thanks
Cari

Cari Johnson
Asst. Subject Librarian