On 2011-01-06, at 10:24 AM, CHARLES OPPENHEIM wrote:

> Stevan summarises his views thus:
> "SHERPA/Romeo, which should not be for the amusement and edification of permission pedants or fetishists, but for the liberation of authors' fingers from Zeno's Paralysis."
>
> Stevan's view of what SHERPA/Romeo should be for is in fact not the raison d'etre of SHERPA/Romeo. It's for Stevan and others to argue the case for a rapid move to Green OA. Sherpa/ROMEO's role is complementary to that, i.e.,  to report the world as it is. There is ample room for both.

That's why we created the EPrints/Romeo alternate view (fed from SHERPA/Romeo): to provide all and only what authors need to embolden them to self-archive.

But alas -- and, I'm afraid, to the not inconsiderable disadvantage of the growth of Green OA -- the EPrints/Romeo feed is no longer being fed.

I hope that in the planned upgrading of SHERPA/Romeo, two "views" can be provided. One particoloured view for those who want to know all the minutiae of permissions, condition and restrictions, for whatever reason, and the other the Green OA authors' view, which presents only the publishers and journals, coded only as GREEN, PALE-GREEN or GRAY (with the embargo length for the latter), along with statistics on the totals and growth rate, as in this sadly frozen last view of EPrints/Romeo:
http://romeo.eprints.org/stats.php

(This hope is not new: It dates from 2003: http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/subject.html#msg3101 )

Stevan Harnad