On 31/01/2011 19:40, David Prosser wrote:
>> You are correct in what you are thinking. You must not publish a thesis
>> if its author is intending to publish it as articles, book etc.
>
> Actually, is there any actual evidence that this is true, or is it just
> hearsay? Could you point us to some publisher statements to support

On my part 2nd level hearsay about "publishers", and first hand
information for what (I believe) our Library is doing.  Not impossible
to have had more hearsay in the Library too.

> this? I'm sure that it varies from publisher to publisher and between
> subject areas. But here, for example, is the statement from Nature:
>
>> The Nature journals are happy to consider submissions containing
>> material that has previously formed part of a PhD or other academic
>> thesis which has been published according to the requirements of the
>> institution awarding the qualification.
>> http://www.nature.com/authors/policies/duplicate.html

Excellent.  Which then leaves the author with the question of what to do
if s/he can't publish in Nature.

Kind Regards
Charles

--
Charles Christacopoulos, Management Information Officer,
Strategic Information Management, ICS, University of Dundee,