Dear Colleagues,

Due to the withdrawals of a couple of speakers, one of the sessions proposed for the annual meeting of the American Association of Italian Studies in Pittsburgh (APRIL 7-9, 2011)  is  now at risk of being cancelled. If you are interested in these session’s topic and would like to participate in it (and in what promises to be an excellent conference), I urge you to contact me as well as the individual panel organizer and submit a short abstract and bio as soon as possible. I hereby give you title and description of the session and the e-mail address of the organizer:

Paolo Palmieri, University of Pittsburgh, [log in to unmask]: Galileo, Ariosto, and Tasso

Vincenzo Viviani reports that Galileo used to say that he owed clarity of thought to Ariosto’s great poem, and that Galileo knew most of the poem by heart. While Galileo despised Tasso he loved Ariosto. Galileo’s rejection of Tasso in favor of Ariosto has been studied extensively but mostly by  historians of literature. The purpose of this session is to bring together cross-disciplinary perspectives from literature, science and philosophy in order to illuminate the complex attitude of Galileo toward Ariosto and Tasso.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Kind regards,

Francesca Savoia

University of Pittsburgh

AAIS 2011 Conference Principal Organizer

********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html