italian-studies: Scholarly discussions in any field of Italian studies Dear Dr. Elgar,
This is such a beautiful poem! Thank you for sharing it with the list. As to the meaning of verses 5-8, while it is tempting to introduce the idea that the author has outdone women lovers of the past in the intensity of her suffering (as most of the translations offered so far have done), I think the verses might perhaps best be translated in more or less the following manner: "However so many women who love who have ever felt either the sharpness of the one or the fierceness of the other have existed in the past or may exist in the future. . ." This version has the merit of linking both what comes before and what comes after: "I do not lament the pains of love "[1-4], "no matter how strongly these have been felt by women in the past or will be felt in the future [5-8]" because "out of the pains of love comes a greater good" [9-11]. This approach maintains the close unity of ideas of the first part of the poem, to which the last three lines add a delightful complication.
I agree with you that a lot depends on how once tranlates "quantunque." Perhaps one could also translate it as "however so much," although this would be hard to reconcile with the syntax of the lines which follow: "however so much women in love who have felt the pains of love have ever existed or will exist" seems a bit of a stretch. It would help to compare other uses of the word in poetry of the cinquecento.
I hope this might be useful.
Jim Ward
Berkeley, CA