Dear Colleague,

We are pleased to inform you that graduate fellowships for both MA and PhD
programs in French and Francophone Studies, Italian Studies, and Iberian and
Latin American Studies at the University of Notre Dame are available.

The application deadline is February 1, 2011 (
https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=nd-grad). Thank you for sharing this
information with colleagues and any students who might be interested in
applying.

For more information about the Department of Romance Languages and the PhD
in Literature Program at the University of Notre Dame, please see:

http://romancelanguages.nd.edu/

(http://romancelanguages.nd.edu/news-and-events/fabella-archives/2010/)

http://phdliterature.nd.edu/

We also include, copied below this message, a letter from Professor Alain
Toumayan, Director of Graduate Studies in the Department of Romance Language
and Literatures, that briefly outlines the structure of our programs, and
some of the resources available to students at Notre Dame for your
information.

Joseph Buttigieg

William R. Kenan Jr. Professor of Literature

Director, PhD in Literature

University of Notre Dame

http://phdliterature.nd.edu/

Theodore Cachey

Professor and Chair

Department of Romance Languages and Literatures

University of Notre Dame

http://romancelanguages.nd.edu/

Dear Colleague,

I am writing to bring to your attention a special opportunity for talented
students interested in graduate studies in Romance languages and
literatures. At the University of Notre Dame we have M.A. programs in French
and Francophone, Italian, and Iberian and Latin American Studies as well as
an innovative Ph.D. in Literature program. Our department features an active
and productive cohort of scholar-teachers with strong research profiles and
publication records, and with national and in many cases international
reputations.

*The M.A. programs* offer a comprehensive two-year course of study, providing
a strong background in French and Francophone, Italian, or Iberian and Latin
American studies, while also cultivating students' theoretical and
analytical skills. The program has consistently attracted top-notch
candidates, and we have had great success in placing them afterwards in such
competitive doctoral programs as Princeton, Berkeley, Yale, Columbia, New
York University, Georgetown, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Cornell, Harvard and
Stanford.

The recently founded *Ph.D. in Literature program,* now in its eighth year,
combines in one doctoral program the forces of a number of departments and
programs (from Classics, East Asian Studies, French and Francophone Studies,
German and Russian, Iberian and Latin American Studies, Irish Studies,
Italian Studies, Philosophy; Film, Television and Theatre, and Theology).
The Ph.D. in Literature brings together outstanding faculty and resources to
enable doctoral students to study literature both within traditional
disciplines and across disciplinary and national boundaries. This program is
designed for the intellectually creative student, and it combines the
breadth and depth of a doctorate in the individual national languages with a
program of study whose built-in flexibility serves a variety of
constituencies. The Ph.D. in Literature offers a flexible curricular
framework for the formation of scholar-teachers whose intellectual and
market prospects will be high. A new Graduate Certificate in Screen Studies
allows studies to focus on film and media studies in their academic
preparation and to work closely with Notre Dame's distinguished faculty in
these areas.

With the implementation of the PhD in Literature program the Romance Languages
at Notre Dame have embarked on an unprecedented period of doctoral-level
research and teaching in addition to our already outstanding tradition in
undergraduate and masters level education.

*Library holdings* at the University of Notre Dame complement faculty strengths
and provide rich resources for graduate study. With particularly strong
holdings in Medieval literature and a complete photographic record of
the incomparable
manuscript collection of the Ambrosiana Library in Milan, the library at the
University of Notre Dame provides an ideal environment for graduate work in
the earlier periods of Romance Studies. Students interested in the Spanish
American colonial period are able to draw on the exceptional Jose Durand
collection of manuscripts from the Spanish colonies in the New World, as
well as the Harley L. McDevitt collection of inquisition materials.
Recent generous
endowments in Dante Studies, the Southern Cone area of Latin America, and
the Hispanic Caribbean have allowed us to create outstanding library
collections that support cutting-edge research in these areas as well as to
promote lecture series and other forums of academic exchange. The Michael
Browning Family Cinema, in the Marie P. DeBartolo Center for the Performing
Arts, is the only THX-certified cinema in the state of Indiana and provides
an ideal format for a wide variety of contemporary and classical film
screenings and academic symposia.

A full range of *fellowship funding* is available to students in both the
M.A. and the Ph.D. in Literature programs. Students admitted to both
programs normally receive full tuition fellowships and generous annual
stipends. Support for M.A. students lasts two years, while support for the
Ph.D. in Literature students lasts five. Financial support is also available
for summer research travel.

The M.A. programs and the Ph.D. in Literature program are both currently
accepting applications for 2011-2012. *The deadline for the M.A. **programs
and the Ph.D. in Literature program is February 1, 2011.*

Please share this information with your graduate director and
interested undergraduate
majors or Masters students. Please feel free to send me the names of
interested students by email [log in to unmask], I will contact those students
directly.

For more information about graduate study at Notre Dame, visit our website:
http://romancelanguages.nd.edu with links to affiliated departments and
programs.

With warm regards,

Alain P. Toumayan
Director of Graduate Studies

To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME
to: [log in to unmask]
To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies
to: [log in to unmask]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html