thanks Axel. You make a fair point and I have spent the last 37 years in
public health - most of them in civilised discourse. Occasionally this
proves insufficient to preserve an important element of our society:
this I fear is such a case. You may recall the criticism of Chamberlain
for his civilised discourse in 1939. The British welfare state was a
direct outcome of World War 2 and current government policies will
return us to the pre-war situation of health and welfare for those that
can afford it or are fortunate enough to live in a well-provided area.
In such circumstances it is the courage to resist, and the speaking of
truth to power, rather than civilised debate, which come to the fore

Alex

On 17/01/2011 09:37, Axel Kaehne wrote:
> Alex
>
> Perhaps you could try to engage with the arguments instead of
> labelling somebody's intention evil. This is tea party terminology and
> doesn't suit the UK political context. We should all try to keep up a
> civilised discourse instead of lowering the tone of public debate.
>
> Best regards
>
> Axel
>

> Dr Axel Kaehne
> Research Fellow
> Welsh Centre for Learning Disabilities
> School of Medicine
> Neuadd Merionnydd
> Cardiff
> CF14 4XN
>
> Phone: 02920 687 212
> Fax: 029 20 687 100
> Email: [log in to unmask]
>

> -----"The Health Equity Network (HEN)"
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote: -----
>
>     To: [log in to unmask]
>     From: Alex Scott-Samuel <[log in to unmask]>
>     Sent by: "The Health Equity Network (HEN)"
>     Date: 01/17/2011 08:44AM
>     Subject: Fwd: Humphrys fooled by Cameron
>
>     Text of letter sent to Radio 4 Today programme following
>     Humphrys-Cameron interview this morning
>
>     Once again the BBC has been fooled by the Conservatives claiming that
>     their NHS revolution is primarily about GPs taking over the
>     commissioning of services. This is a smokescreen for the real key
>     change, which is about the NHS becoming an open competitive market in
>     which all hospitals will be forced to compete with the private
>     sector -
>     'any willing provider' - and will be forced to close down if they fail
>     to make a profit.
>
>     Evil is the intention of causing harm or destruction, especially
>     through
>     violating moral codes. These unnecessary and evil changes will
>     irreversibly harm our beloved NHS, and destroy the fundamental
>     basis of
>     the welfare state that has served us so well for 60 years.
>
>     Dr Alex Scott-Samuel

Dr Alex Scott-Samuel
EQUAL (Equity in Health Research and Development Unit)
Division of Public Health
University of Liverpool
Whelan Building
Quadrangle