Thanks Emma,

This suggests that a graduate with little experience needs to aim at earning
a lot more than £100 a day, to cover costs.

Ali

From: List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Emma King
Sent: 14 January 2011 14:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Freelance rates

Hi all

A couple of attachments relevant to this discussion:

*	GEM’s guide to choosing and using a freelancer, originally written
by Alison James and kindly supplied by Maggie Monteath
*	Sample artists’ rates from 2004, sourced from the artists’ network
knowledge bank, http://www.a-n.co.uk/knowledge_bank/topic/193936.  This was
originally published with ACE support. To my knowledge it hasn’t been
updated, and I don’t know of any similar guidelines for freelancers
elsewhere in the sector, but it’s the closest thing I’ve found to published
pay guidelines. There is also a very useful toolkit on the website designed
to help artists work out their daily rate/charges for their artwork. A
glance at that will give you an idea of overheads that self employed people
need to cover within their rates, and the amount of time they are actually
able spend on paid work – that could be less than you might think.

Thanks

Emma

Emma King
Museum Consultant
Tel: 01484 380149
Mob: 07950 340048
Skype: outlawkings
Twitter: @emmaking01

http://www.emmakingconsultancy.co.uk

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + GEM list: Contact the list owner for
assistance at [log in to unmask] For information about joining,
leaving and suspending mail (eg during a holiday) see the list website at
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=GEM + + + + + + + + + + + + +