Hi,

I would recommend to rename your current fsl root directory (check with
'echo $FSLDIR', or just 'mv $FSLDIR\* ${FSLDIR}_40\'), and install (i.e.
untar) the new version. If everything is working fine and you do not
need the old version any more, you can just delete the old fsl
directory. I assume that is the safest way.

hope this helps,
wolf