Hello Haukur,

I think it depends on what we mean by depth-of-field, which is a
phenonomenon of lens-based media, and deep focus or deep staging, which is
to have objects in focus in foreground and background. The latter is
technically very difficult to achieve as it requires a lot of extra lighting
and often special lenses. It's probably safe to say that Welles did some
interesting things with depth-of-field, but it could hardly count as a
discovery, less so for deep staging.

One interesting example of its consequences is Sacha Vierney's development
of a split lens in the 1960s which enables the camera to combine an extreme
close-up with a sharp focus background. Some films (such as Marienbad, for
which it was developed) would be very different without it. The effect is
still used though it tends to show a band of out-of-focus content down the
middle of the image (unless removed by CGI). Interestingly, d-o-f effects
are now added in to CGI movies (Toy Story 2 has a good example).

A lot of depth of field problems were solved in the 1930s with matte paint
and locked cameras.

All best
Damian

--