From: Richard Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 6:58 AM
Subject: [HIFA2015] HINARI: Publishers withdraw 2500 journals from free access scheme in Bangladesh (8)
To: HIFA2015 - Healthcare Information For All by 2015 <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Swarna,

Your response is extremely helpful.

I was responsible for alerting Neil and the BMJ when I heard from a friend about the major publishers stopping access to their journals in Bangladesh through HINARI. We thought that this might have happened in other countries, and clearly it has. There hasn't been the publicity there should have been, and I can see that WHO doesn't want to upset the publishers by publicising the losses. But it would be very good to know how many countries have had access stopped. HINARI may be slowly dying, unnoticed by the world.

I was involved in starting HINARI when I was editor of the BMJ. We paid for one of our staff to work with WHO and help make it happen. We had the launch of the project in BMA House in London.

One of the main incentives for the commercial publishers was, I judge, watching the pharmaceutical industry take a beating over its behaviour in low and middle income countries. They may have forgotten that now and hope that they can make increases in their profits from stopping access in some countries.

I think that they are shooting themselves in the foot, particularly when open access is gaining momentum.

We should find out exactly how many countries have been shut out and mount a campaign to embarrass the companies into reinstating access in low income countries.

I suggest as well that people send rapid responses to the news item in the BMJ. Sadly and ironically it's not open access, but the link is:

http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.d196.full

Richard Smith

HIFA2015 profile: Richard Smith is an Executive Director of UnitedHealth Group, where he is responsible for a programme to create centres in the developing world to counter chronic disease (cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and chronic respiratory disease). UnitedHealth Group is a diversified health and well-being company dedicated to making the health care system work better. Richard is a board member of the Public Library of Science, and was formerly Editor of the BMJ and Chief Executive of the BMJ Publishing Group. richardswsmith AT yahoo.co.uk

-----