Hi Carlos,

I am a pediatrician and methodologist in Portugal; you might check a paper
we wrote a few years ago in Journal of Pediatrics, before the Plos Med
review; topic: placebo response in migraine trials, also almost twice as
that in adult trials. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18346509

The placebo literature and discussion, be it methodological, ethical,
clinical, has been going on for decades now. Goetzsche's NEJM/cochrane
review revived it in the late 90s. Fascinating stuff, with a lot of
neuroscience backing it up. Neonatal placebo is obviously a provocative
question...:)

My thoughts are with the previous replies; placebo response is NOT the same
as effect, and most of it is probably methodological issues and measurement
bias.

Cheers, Ricardo.

--
Ricardo M. Fernandes, MD

Gulbenkian Foundation Advanced Medical Education phD Program
Institute of Molecular Medicine (www.imm.ul.pt)

[log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

"Croyez ceux qui cherchent la vérité, doutez de ceux qui la trouvent" André
Gide