Dear Ben,

In my opinion the philsophers are deeply confused about this.

It is not necessary for the purpose of issuing a probability statement to know the  value of  unmeasured covariates; it is sufficient to know their distribution in probability.

The following analogy may be helpful. Suppose we have to calculate the probability that sum of scores  on two dice, a red die and a black die is 10. Actually one of the dice has alread been rolled, the red die, but we have not seen the score. It is sufficient, however, that we know that a necessary condition that the total score be 10 is that the score for the red die be 4,5, or 6. We know that this probability is 1/2 and we know that we now require a 6.5,or 4 on the black dies as the case may be and that in each case this probabability is 1/6. Hence the probability that the total a score is 10 is 1/12.

Of course if somebody now reveals the score on the red die to us we can refine our probability assessment of 1/12. If the score is 1,2,or 3 the  probability is now 0 since no value of the black die can make the total 10. if the score is 4,5,6 the probability is now 1/6. In fact the probability of 1/12 that we had before can be seen as being composed of (1/2 x 0) + (1/2 x 1/6).

Similarly the fact that if confounders were revealed we would modify the probability assessment we have from an RCT does not mean that the probability assessment is invalid. It is a valid statement given what we know at that stage. All probability statements are conditional on what is known. The fact that if we knew more we would refine them does not make them unvalid when we don't know more.

This is so obvious that I must confess to be underwhelmed by the level of understanding of this by certain critics of the RCT.

See

Senn, SJ. Baseline Balance and Valid Statistical Analyses: Common Misunderstandings, Applied Clinical Trials 2005; 14: 24-27.

For a discussion.

Stephen