Dear Colleagues:

Roepke Lecture in Economic Geography at the AAG meeting this year will be delivered by Professor Trevor Barnes (UBC), with Professor Allen Scott (UCLA) serving as a discussant.

"Notes from the underground: Why the history of twentieth-century Anglo-American economic geography matters"

Abstract:
The discipline of Anglo-American economic geography seems to care little about its history.  Its practitioners tend towards the "just do it" school of scholarship in which a concern with the present concrete economic geographical moment subordinates all else.  In contrast, I argue that knowing economic geography's history is vital.  Disciplinary historical knowledge enables us to realise that we are frequently "slaves of some defunct" economic geographer; that we cannot escape our geography and history, which seep into the very pores of the ideas that we profess; that there is a yawning gap between how we represent the work of earlier generations, and how it was conceived by them during the raw heat of its production (likely a fate to befall our own work too); and that the full connotations of economic geographical ideas are sometimes purposively  hidden, secret even, revealed only later by investigative historical scholarship.  My antidote: "notes from the underground."  This is a history of economic geography that delves below the reported surface; it is often subversive, contradicting conventional depictions; it seeks out deliberately hidden and buried economic geographical practices; and it relies on sources now literally found underground, personal papers and correspondence stored in one subterranean archive or another.  In making my case for examining notes from economic geography's underground, I draw on historical research about the German geographer Walter Christaller, the American geographer Edward A. Ackerman, and the American social physicist John Q. Stewart.

Thursday, 4/14/11, from 2:40 PM - 4:20 PM in Grand Ballroom A - Sheraton Hotel, Second Floor

Organizers: Yuko Aoyama (Editor, Economic Geography) and Norma Rantisi (EGSG Chair) Chair: Julie Cidell (University of Illinois)
Roepke Lecture is co-sponsored by the Department of Geography at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Economic Geography, the journal, and the AAG Economic Geography Specialty Group.

Yuko Aoyama, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Henry J. Leir Faculty Fellow
Graduate School of Geography
CLARK UNIVERSITY
Editor, Economic Geography