I can't confirm if the law is the same in Scotland but I looked into this
very issue some time ago and if the estranged does still have a right to
access records as long as they possess parental responsibility. But note,
the definition of parental responsibility differs for educational records.

The definition for access to non-educational records, such as pastoral,
behaviour, extra-curricular activities etc (i.e. normal subject access) is
the normal definition as per the Children Act 1989. However, the
definition for access to educational records is that detailed in section
576 of the Education Act 1996.

As I remember, Schedule 11 of the DPA 1998 also has something to say on
this but I haven't got time to look at the moment.

Hope that helps.

Many Thanks

David Wilson
Data Protection Officer
01305 225175

"Giles, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
07/01/2011 15:30
Please respond to
"Giles, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[data-protection] Estranged parent access to primary school child's
information

Can I add another twist to this one as the other debate seems to be
faltering?

I have been asked as an independent DP Advisor whether an estranged parent
can access their estranged child?s educational records (Primary School) in
Scotland as well as school reports.

Searching through the ICO site does not give me any indication whether
this may be done but I am minded to advise the requestor (mother) that she
should contact the school to request a denial on behalf of her child.

Any thoughts?

Kevin Giles
Information Compliance Advisor
The Glasgow Housing Association Ltd

Tel:  0141 274 6723

The advice in this email is for the recipient only and should not be
forwarded without the permission of the sender

For information on the Legal Team, the work we do and answers to
frequently asked legal questions, please click on the link below to go
straight to our homepage.
http://ghanet/html/legal/

Disclaimer:
addressed. If you are not the intended addressee, or the person
responsible for delivering it to them, you may not copy, forward,
disclose, rely on or otherwise use it or any part of it in any way. To do
so may be unlawful. Any representations, contractual or otherwise, views
or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of Glasgow Housing Association Ltd. If you
receive this e-mail by mistake, please advise the sender immediately by
phoning 0141 274 6200 and delete this e-mail.
As part of our  Acceptable Use policy Glasgow Housing Association Ltd.
monitors e-mail content. This footnote also confirms that this email
message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.

The Glasgow Housing Association Limited is a not-for-profit housing
association registered under the Industrial and Provident Societies Act
1965,
registered no. 2572R(S).  It is also recognised by HM Revenue and Customs
as a Scottish Charity (SCO34054) and is registered with
The Scottish Housing Regulator under the Housing (Scotland) Act 2001 as a
registered social landlord, no. 317.  VAT Registration No. 796709466.
Registered office: Granite House, 177 Trongate, Glasgow G1 5HF

Selected commands (the command has been filled in below in the body of the
email if you are receiving emails in HTML format):

Leaving this list: send leave data-protection to [log in to unmask]

Suspending emails from all JISCMail lists: send SET * NOMAIL to

To receive emails from this list in text format: send SET data-protection
NOHTML to [log in to unmask]

To receive emails from this list in HTML format: send SET data-protection
HTML to [log in to unmask]

All user commands can be found at
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/commandref.htm and are sent in the body of
an otherwise blank email to [log in to unmask]

Any queries about sending or receiving messages please send to the list
owner  [log in to unmask]

(Please send all commands to [log in to unmask] not the list or the
moderators, and all requests for technical help to [log in to unmask]
, the general office helpline)

Scanned by MailDefender - managed email security from intY -
www.maildefender.net

"This e-mail is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain information about individuals or other sensitive information and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this email in error, kindly disregard the content of the message and notify the sender immediately. Please be aware that all email may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation."

Scanned by MailDefender - managed email security from intY - www.maildefender.net