Please forward on to potentially interested colleagues...  Thanks

Dear Colleagues,

We are delighted to send you this initial announcement for the 2011 Planners Network International Conference to be held in Memphis, Tennessee (USA) on May 18-21, 2011. We hope you will make plans to attend and contribute to this year’s meeting which will focus on the struggle to promote equitable forms of regional development through participatory planning and design. Check the 2011 PN Conference website at The University of Memphis for more info (www.memphis.edu/plannersnetwork).

The growing influence of conservative citizen movements and governments in many parts of the world reminds us that this is an important time to be organizing for social justice! Among the topics to be discussed at this year’s conference will be: urban food security, affordable housing, alternative transportation, historic preservation, international development, crime prevention, and green job generation! So, pack your partner, kids, and dog in the family Winnebago and join us in Memphis for this year’s PN Conference. Among those who have already committed to come are Bill Goldsmith, Pierre Clavel, Leonie Sandercock, Mike Powell, Karen Hundt and Laura Saija.

Please consider submitting a presentation or panel session proposal to be offered at the conference (Due March 15th). We welcome authors who wish to bring copies of their books to be displayed and sold in the PN Conference Book Room. We also invite organizations to prepare posters boards (30 x 40) of their work to be displayed throughout this exciting three-day event. Finally, we invite you to bring literature on your organization’s work to be distributed to the 400-600 individuals that we expect to be attending this year’s event.

We look forward to seeing you in The Bluff City where Elvis lives and is still “The King”. Remember to bring your dancing shoes!

We ask you to share this initial invitation with other colleagues and networks in your area that are interested in promoting more equitable and sustainable forms of development through democratic action! We believe the 2011 PN Conference will be of interest to community activists, professional planners and designers, local elected officials, media representatives, labor leaders, youth/senior leaders, environmentalists and urban scholars.

With warm regards,

Ken Reardon

Professor and Director of the Graduate Program in City and Regional Planning

School of Urban Affairs and Public Policy

The University of Memphis

901-678-2610

Member, Planners Network Advisory Committee