Thanks Alastair,

I have always assumed that this list was about crisis - crisis recognition and response.  (Some also consider societal change, but as a response to crisis.)

The general recognition of a world crisis is beginning to dawn, as Paul Rogers point out in his excellent piece [1].  It is important to hammer home the good science that shows that the force of Katrina and the force of the Queensland floods are both related to extra high temperature in neighbouring ocean - and a component of that temperature is from global warming.  Too often journalists will end their piece with something to throw doubt about the effects or existence of global warming - for example here [2].

The retreat of Arctic sea ice is a crisis which needs to be recognised more widely, because of "positive feedback" of the "albedo flip".  As the reflective sea ice retreats, the resulting open water absorbs solar energy and the air above the water is heated.  If Arctic warming continues unabated, massive quantities of methane will be released from melting permafrost - enough to cause global warming to spiral out of control.  Also there is the risk of Greenland ice sheet disintegration, producing 7 metres of sea level rise.  The sea ice is already in a critical state [3].

This is an emergency.  But what can we do?   Traditionally the focus has been on greenhouse gas emissions, but reducing emissions cannot help on the necessary timescale to save the Arctic sea ice.

Our only option is to use geoengineering to cool the Arctic.  Now almost everybody, scientists and environmentalists alike, has a natural aversion to engineering on global scale.  But we have no choice.  Either we embrace geoengineering, and get it to work on our behalf, or we are doomed to many degrees of global warming and many metres of sea level rise.  That's curtains.  That's the end of civilisation.

At present we seem hell bent on a suicidal course of relying on some miraculous reduction of CO2 emissions, which by itself can neither halt global warming, nor save the Arctic.  All talk is about changing people's lifestyle to reduce carbon footprint.  But this won't prevent catastrophe.  We are indeed like the proverbial lemmings - and we are about to fall over the cliff edge.

Rant over.  Does this make sense to anybody?  Does anybody understand what I'm saying?  I know you don't want to know - you desperately don't want to believe what I'm saying.  It's extremely uncomfortable to contemplate.  Like Jeremiah's warning to the Israelites that Babylonians wanted them as slaves - the Israelites didn't want to know.   But if we all bury our heads in the sand, we and our offspring have no future.  We need a Transition to Science and Sanity.

That's how I see it.  Can anybody see my point of view?

Kind regards,

John

[1] http://www.opendemocracy.net/paul-rogers/world-in-breakdown?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzEmail&utm_content=201210&utm_campaign=Nightly_2011-01-14%2005%3a30

[2] http://planetark.org/wen/60863