I sort of think you need to get over it Craig. The whole diagnostic
enterprise and the forces that support is very often bonkers reductionist
and damaging in lots of different ways but this is at some level
unavoidable. Services are bound to reflect the culture and ideologies of
their time?

I also gave in on Autism. Who was I to impose my world view on someone who
found the label and associated identity really helpful. My brother even
talks about the 'Aut' in my own family of origin. As the youngest child I
would call it something else! Great swathes of the people/psychologists I
work with are fully aware of the limitations dangers and privilidges that go
alongside classifying and being classified. Handing the mental health
commissioning budgets to GPs isnt likely to improve the situation although
they are quite good at spotting that someones distress isnt going to hop it
with a bit of cbt ipt eft or whatever if they cant bear being unemployed
again.

I think the higher the DSM number gets the more obviously hopeless the whole
enterprise becomes. For example PTSD labelling without exposure to a trauma
is going to be interesting and a remarkable psychiatric legal and
psychological innovation!

Really good things are still happening all over the place. Peterborough is
placing peer recovery workers in all their teams. If they pull it off this
will really change the narrative and the practice. Zuckergate also had
hopeful components.

You seem to have adopted some sort of 'depressive' position. I think its a
good time to be critical and psychological about all this.

Wolfensberger was wrong, the world isnt going to hell in a wheelbarrow?

Richard

Ps Why did he choose a wheelbarrow and what happened to Zuckergate?

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:55 PM, COMBES Helen A <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

>  I was (and still am) against labelling but having worked in service where
> people were struggling to get any support for their son or daughter because
> the service said “we do not have anyone in this city who has autism” and at
> the age of 80 (their children in their 50s) people were still having to help
> their son or daughter on a daily basis without any state or local government
> support.  At that point I sold my soul to the devil and started to
> diagnose.  It was always through asking peoples’ permissions.  Sorry, but it
> did mean that people got some access to some support and some
> independence.   People can take hold of a label and change its meaning.
>

> Helen Combes,
>
> Principal Clinical Lecturer, Shropshire and Staffordshire DClinPsy

___________________________________
The Community Psychology List has a new website/blog at:
http://www.communitypsychology.co.uk/
There is a threaded discussion forum:
http://www.communitypsychology.co.uk/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi
There is a twitter feed:
http://twitter.com/CommPsychUK
To post on the website blog, forum or twitter feed, contact Grant or David at the email addresses below.
David Fryer ([log in to unmask]) or Grant Jeffrey ([log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe or to change your details on this COMMUNITYPSYCHUK list, visit the website:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=COMMUNITYPSYCHUK