I was (and still am) against labelling but having worked in service where people were struggling to get any support for their son or daughter because the service said "we do not have anyone in this city who has autism" and at the age of 80 (their children in their 50s) people were still having to help their son or daughter on a daily basis without any state or local government support.  At that point I sold my soul to the devil and started to diagnose.  It was always through asking peoples' permissions.  Sorry, but it did mean that people got some access to some support and some independence.   People can take hold of a label and change its meaning.

Helen Combes,
Principal Clinical Lecturer, Shropshire and Staffordshire DClinPsy

From: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Danny Taggart
Sent: 24 January 2011 11:30
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: spinwatch

I'm not sure that this is entirely true Craig. Most of my colleagues would not identify themselves as critical or even community psychologists but they are finding the current NHS reform process quite horrifying. It's difficult to credit the idea that this is all because of self-interest and not at least in part to do with care about the public. We all might engage in unhelpful therapeutic practices at times but that's not the same as wilfully trying to harm people to advance our own financial or power bases.

What I would be interested to hear from people is how are these changes being experienced by others in the NHS and beyond? Also do people have examples of how we can resist or at least minimise harm?

Danny

[def ault]  Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of CRAIG NEWNES