Dear friends

Young researchers of the Université de Provence, we organize an
international conference on April 8th and 9th 2011 at the M.M.S.H. of Aix
en Provence. This meeting is devoted to the problem of sources for research
into the Antiquity: methodological difficulties, interpretative patterns,
benefits of a multidisciplinary approach... You will find below further
details of our conference's aim and our call for papers below. An
application form, together a form for submission of abstracts is available
on request. If you want to participate in this project, you are asked to
send us an abstract (1000-1200 characters) and the completed form before
Feb 15th. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us.

Contact : [log in to unmask]

best wishes
--
The organizing committee
Mathilde Carrive, IRAA, USR 3155

Further details:

La Méditerranée antique à l'heure de la pluridisciplinarité: enjeux et
méthodes Call for papers

Researchers dealing with the antiquity and ancient worlds often face a
major difficulty which is typical for this field: the incompleteness of
evidence. Historians, archaeologists and philologists deplore the lack of
material and would like to be able to compare sources, to clarify facts or
to support their hypotheses. But this difficulty is just one of several.
Documents from the past are often highly problematic. Exploring these
difficulties then will be the main topic of this conference.

To pursue the discussions initiated last summer during the « Journées de
l'Antiquité » that dealt with methodological questions, we will revisit
this fundamental aspect of historical research, by broadening the focus to
all difficulties facing a researcher when he/she must confront different
types of sources to achieve results in his/her study. Only the
multidisciplinarity can offer more answers to those questioning ancient
worlds.

During these two days, researchers from different scientific and
geographical areas, countries, universities, schools, and with different
approaches and methods, will meet to compare their opinions and theories.
This conference aims to bring together all those who want to take part in
this reflection, PhD students or academics. Short presentations (20
minutes) and posters will permit focussing on discussions, in order to make
this conference a meeting of archaeologists, historians, philologists and
those interested in the Antiquity.

Archive of list messages may be found at:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/classicsgrads
Visit the same site to change your subscription settings.
All queries regarding the list should be directed to: