Thanks, John.

Of course whatever Jiang and I put in that paper is pretty old. The PDB
have been taking care of the Jiang and Sweet archive for some years. They
completely rewrote the code, and they have added some searches.  The catch
in this case is that they are only synchrotron-based structures. Have look
here.

http://biosync.sbkb.org/stats.do?stats_sec=MAIN&stats_focus_lvl=GLBL

From here choose one of the structure galleries, for example Europe:

http://biosync.sbkb.org/stats.do?stats_sec=GALLRY&stats_focus_lvl=RGNL&stats_region=European

Then choose a beamline, say ID23-1:

http://biosync.sbkb.org/stats.do?stats_sec=GALLRY&stats_focus_lvl=BMLN&stats_site=ESRF&stats_bmln=ID23-1

Then, near the top of the page, see the line "Table of general information
(software, resolution, R-factors, etc) in tab delimited text format"

http://biosync.sbkb.org/biosync_pdbtext/measureESRFID23-1.txt

You'll get a table where the solution method and software follows the
PDB_ID.  There's a RELEASE DATE	at the end on which you may sort.

One catch is, this is one beamline at a time.  Maybe there's a way to do a
direct query on PDB to get what you want all at once.  That would resolve
the other catch that it's synchrotron-only structures.

Bob

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011, Jrh wrote:

> Dear Rex,
> A very informative and careful analysis to help your question be answered can be found
> In Jiang and Sweet JSR 2004, 11, 319-327.
> Greetings,
> John
> Prof John R Helliwell DSc
>
> On 15 Jan 2011, at 20:28, REX PALMER <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>       Does anyone know of a statistical breakdown of successful protein structure
>       determinations in terms of the method used?
>
> Rex Palmer
> Birkbeck College

         Robert M. Sweet                 E-Dress: [log in to unmask]
         Group Leader, PXRR: Macromolecular               ^ (that's L
           Crystallography Research Resource at NSLS            not 1)
           http://px.nsls.bnl.gov/
         Biology Dept
         Brookhaven Nat'l Lab.           Phones:
         Upton, NY  11973                631 344 3401  (Office)
         U.S.A.                          631 344 2741  (Facsimile)