As I said, those omissions of promised deposition are probably just bookkeeping errors, but nevertheless, a promise is a promise. The other ones I agree are probably unrecoverable. I know I lost an early SF set completely and was really pleased when the PDB actively solicited SFs, because now I could actually FIND our SFs again!

And this is also a good opportunity to bring up again the preservation of images. More later.

BR

From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Robbie Joosten
Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2011 11:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] deposited SF (or not)?

Hi Bernhard,

1) I'm sure the PDB has this sorted out now. Perhaps someone atone of the sites can give some details.
2) Backfilling all 10k missing reflection files will be nearly impossible,  but the subset of 'promised' reflection files should be recovered. I guess the first step is getting a list of IDs. That would involve some serious text mining. The next step is getting in touch with the depositors (and hoping they are still alive). If that fails, a public posting of all the depositors who didn't stick to previous promises may be a more drastic option.

Ideally, depositors who didn't deposit their reflections yet, but have them lying around, should deposit them now. Perhaps the PDB should keep a list of all depositions of 'old' data. Naming and praising is better than naming and shaming.

Cheers,
Robbie