'White' LED light produced by most integrated white LED packages is in fact
a mixture of blue (~460nm), produced by the LED itself and a
broad-band yellow (560nm), produced by a secondary phosphor, typically
directly coating the semiconductor that emits the primary light. The net
effect is a single-source mixed-wavelength light. The eye does not
immediately notice the dip in the spectrum around the green (notably, the
eye is in fact tuned into green for maximum sensitivity so the spectrum
'appears' smooth to us when in fact it's anything but). These LEDs are
awesome for many applications and they indeed do not generate as much heat
as incandescent lightbulbs do, but several folks I know have noted that
their eyes are more tired after viewing LED-illuminated samples under a
microscope.
http://powerelectronics.com/power_management/led_drivers/Fig-2-white-LED-vs-RGB-LED-spectrum.jpg

Other types of 'white' LED lights employ carefully balanced mixtures of
three primary colors, each produced by a separate quantum well.
Unfortunately these lights tend to shift colors with temperature and with
age and appear different from different angles - feedback compensation is
required for precision use. These tend to be much easier on the eye (at
least to me), but I am not sure whether any scopes come with these composite
LEDs installed.

Artem